OST is a popular file format created by Microsoft Outlook to store emails, contacts, calendars, journals, and other items. It is a synchronized copy of the mail server that contains all the profile information of the user. When you send and receive mass email messages, it negatively affects your mailbox size by rapidly increasing. So in this post, you will learn how to check & reduce OST file size in Outlook 2019, 2016, and 2013.
How to check OST mailbox size in Outlook?
- Under the Mail view, select your email account.
- Go to the FOLDER tab and click on Folder Properties.
- Click on Folder Size under the General tab
- Now you will see the size of all subfolders in kilobytes.
After checking OST mailboxes size, you can take steps accordingly to prevent Outlook mailbox full.
How to reduce OST file size in Outlook 2019, 2016, and 2013?
If you run out of space mailbox and are looking for how to reduce OST file size, it is possible in various ways. We will look at them one by one in detail and start with
1:- Archive Old email items
It will be best if you archive your older email items in separate Outlook PST file format. All emails, contacts, appointments and other items can be retrieved from Outlook’s archive folders whenever needed. Usually, by default, Outlook archives all these email items on a regular period, but it can manually set with the following steps:
- Open Outlook and click on File tab >> Cleanup Tools >> Archive.
- Select the Archive this folder option, and choose all subfolders and folders you want to archive.
- Enter the data under the Archive items older than filter option.
- Browse the PST file especially where you want move all these items otherwise, remain default location and click on OK.
2:- Save attachments separately
Another option users can try is to save attachments files separately from outside the mailbox. It consumes a large space in the Outlook mailbox, so you should keep this attachment in a local folder separately on your computer.
3:- Delete old email items
If you regularly receive undesirous emails in your Inbox, it would be best to delete them. You can also delete old email items you don’t require any more in the future. When you delete old emails, they will move to the Trash folder. So to permanently delete those items, empty also the Trash folder.
All above practices are possible only when you take precautions before storage fulfillment. Once it is oversized, there is a high possibility that it will become inaccessible and not open in Outlook. In this situation, a third-party application can help you make space or reduce Outlook mailbox size without an Outlook email client.
As I said, third-party applications are trustworthy when Outlook fails to reduce OST mailbox size. In modern technology, various applications can deal with this task easily. But sometimes they charge a high fee for processing this small job. So in this article, I will share a solution that provides accurate results in all situations with a reasonable price that is:
MailsDaddy OST to PST Converter – Top-ranked and cheapest solution
MailsDaddy OST to PST Converter is the window-based application that make accessible the OST file data in PST format. This OST Converter supports all Outlook editions also issued earlier. It offers a split option to save a large OST mailbox over multiple small PST files, which is easily manageable. Other functions also Outlook users can perform regarding the OST mailbox problem. Like as:
What are multiple functional features available in this program?
- Export OST to PST, MBOX, MSG, EML, HTML, RTF, and other formats that help switch from Outlook to another email client like Gmail.
- Import OST to Office 365 and Live Exchange Server account with original folder structure and email properties.
- Recover data from corrupted, orphaned, and inaccessible OST files in PST or other formats.
- Maintain read and unread status of email messages during the conversion process.
- Reduce multiple OST files size according to own requirement.
Every email client has its storing policy to save user profile email information within the cloud or a file format. Like this, Outlook also affects users when they reach up to the maximum Outlook OST file size limit. So in this article, I have discussed all points of view regarding OST file size, such as how to check and reduce OST file size in Outlook 2019, 2016, and 2013.