Microsoft Outlook is the best email messaging platform compared to other email clients. Which type of file will generate by the Outlook application depends on the account configuration option you choose to add an email account. So here we will discuss in detail what is OST and PST files and how to export OST to PST Outlook 2019/2016/2013/2010? Let’s start with
What is an OST file?
When the user configures an email account with Exchange and IMAP server, Outlook generates a synchronized copy of all email information of the user account in the computer’s local folder. It help to access all email messages and other Outlook items without an internet or mail server connection.
What is a PST file?
PST is a personal storage file created when configured an email address with a POP server. It is a download copy of the mail server that locally stores all email information on a computer device. The main benefit is that the PST file is Portable from one computer device to another.
After briefly understanding what OST and PST or OST vs PST are, there can be two possible methods to export OST to PST Outlook.
But before, you must know that when you export OST file data containing emails, contacts, calendars, tasks and other information into a PST file, it copies all email information in the PST file instead transferring the email data from the OST file.
How to export OST to PST Outlook 2019/2016/2013/2010?
Export OST to PST Outlook doesn’t require to put extra effort. It contains a simple method in both solutions that are:
- Import/Export wizard – Classical approach
- MailsDaddy OST to PST Converter – Advanced approach
Import/Export wizard – Classical approach
This Outlook feature-based method allows users to move OST to PST under the application. Due to different Outlook versions, this method steps a little bit vary. To convert OST to PST version wise, follow the below-mentioned step:
For Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013:
- Go to the File tab and select the Open & Export option.
- Click on Import/Export >> Export to a file >> Next >> Outlook Data File (.pst) >> Next.
- Select the email account and tap on Next.
- Browse the destination path and enter a file name to save exported OST file.
- Press on Finish and add the password in the PST file to prevent misuse.
For Outlook 2010:
- Click on File >> Import and Export >> Export to a file >> Next.
- Choose Personal File Folder (.pst) and tap on Next.
- Select the email account and press Next.
- Browse the location to save the Outlook Data file (.pst), create a new file, and click on Ok and Finish.
- Fill in the Create Microsoft Personal Folders dialogue box to add the password. Otherwise, click on Ok.
Limitations: (1.) This solution doesn’t guarantee that OST to PST conversion process will complete at a desirable result. It can lead to data loss and unorganized email database management in resulted PST file.
(2.) Not unified with modern features to export OST to PST format. It has not following provision such as
Export another system made OST file;
Repair damaged, oversized and orphaned OST files;
Multiple OST to PST migration.
MailsDaddy OST to PST Converter – Advanced approach
MailsDaddy OST to PST Converter is an advanced approach because it doesn’t suffer from user-centric limitations. It provides a wide range of advanced features that play a crucial role in simple migration. The application supports all Outlook versions and does not differs in the conversion step.
The Utility demands the following system requirement:
- Processor & RAM: Minimum 2.4 GHz Processor and 2 GB RAM
- Minimum Hard Drive Space: 20 MB
- Supported O.S.: Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, XP and All Older Editions (32-bit & 64-bit)
Features available in this OST file converter are:
- Automatically search and add OST files in the application for conversion.
- Repair and retrieve all email information from corrupted, inaccessible and orphaned OST files.
- Convert single or multiple OST files in PST, MSG, EML, MBOX, RTF, HTML, and other various formats.
- Search and Select specific Outlook email information from OST files to export in PST or other formats.
- Migrate OST to Office 365 and Live Exchange Server account with original email properties and folder hierarchies.
Steps to migrate OST to PST using secured application “MailsDaddy OST to PST Converter Tool”
- Download the MailsDaddy OST to PST Converter Software and complete the setup for operating it.
- Click on Add File and choose the Search File option to browse the OST file from the computer automatically.
- Tap on the Export tab from the ribbon and choose the button between Export All Folders and Export Selected Folders.
- Select PST (Outlook Data File (.pst)) option, Browse the destination path where you want to save the PST file and tap on Next.
- Choose an option between Create a single PST for all selected folders and Create separate PST for each mailbox.
- Enable split option for dividing large OST data into small PST files if required and press on Export button.
(1.) Only Windows supported application, not for mac, android or other operating systems.
(2.) Free trial only converts the first 20 items per mailbox to PST or other formats.
Here I have clarified all related aspects to export OST to PST outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, and 2010. There is no doubt PST files is appropriate format to keep backup and move Outlook emails database from one computer to another. There is no any method which complete with itself for all situation. That’s why two methods described with their limitation so that no problem will arise while exporting OST file data to PST format.